Our research aims to understand how innate leukocytes––monocytes, macrophages, B1 B cells––shape and are shaped by inflammation. We use in vivo models of acute and chronic inflammation relevant to infectious, cardiovascular, and metabolic diseases, and focus on cell development, communication, and function. We think that the diversity of inflammatory conditions arises from the tension between conserved cell behaviors and specific tissue contexts. Leukocytes defend against danger, but also connect diseases and perpetuate the accrual of co-morbidities.
Specific projects in the lab include the relative contribution of monocyte recruitment and macrophage proliferation in atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction, the role of innate response activator B cells in sepsis and pneumonia, the molecular mechanisms orchestrating the biphasic monocyte-macrophage wound healing response, and the immunophysiology of erythrocyte recycling.
1. Weber GF, Chousterman BG, Hilgendorf I, Robbins CS, Theurl I, Gerhardt LMS, Iwamoto Y, Quach TD, Ali M, Chen JW, Rothstein TL, Nahrendorf M, Weissleder R, Swirski FK. Pleural innate response activator B cells protect against pneumonia via a GM-CSF-IgM axis. J Exp Med. 2014; Epub ahead of print.
2. Robbins CS, Hilgendorf I, Weber GF, Theurl I, Iwamoto Y, Figueiredo JL, Gorbatov R, Sukhova GK, Gerhardt LMS, Smyth D, Zavitz CCJ, Shikatani EA, Parsons M, Rooijen N, Lin HY, Husain M, Libby P, Nahrendorf M, Weissleder R, Swirski FK. Local proliferation dominates lesional macrophage accumulation in atherosclerosis. Nat Med. 2013;19:1166-1172.
3. Swirski FK, Nahrendorf M. Leukocyte behavior in atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, and heart failure. Science. 2013;339:161-166.
4. Rauch PJ, Chudnovskiy A, Robbins CS, Weber GF, Etzrodt M, Hilgendorf I, Tiglao E, Figueiredo JL, Iwamoto Y, Theurl I, Gorbatov R, Waring MT, Chicoine AT, Mouded M, Pittet MJ, Nahrendorf M, Weissleder R, Swirski FK. Innate response activator B cells protect against microbial sepsis. Science. 2012;335(6068):597-601.
5. Robbins CS, Chudnovskiy A, Rauch PJ, Figueiredo JL, Iwamoto Y, Gorbatov R, Etzrodt M, Weber GF, Ueno T, van Rooijen N, Mulligan-Kehoe MJ, Libby P, Nahrendorf M, Pittet MJ, Weissleder R, Swirski FK. Extramedullary hematopoiesis generates Ly-6C high monocytes that infiltrate atherosclerotic lesions. Circulation. 2012;125:364-374.
6. Swirski FK, Nahrendorf M, Etzrodt M, Wildgruber M, Cortez-Retamozo V, Panizzi P, Aikawa E, Mempel A, Libby P, Weissleder R, Pittet MJ. Identification of splenic reservoir monocytes and their deployment to inflammatory sites. Science. 2009;325:612.
Last Update: 6/11/2014