Brigham and Women's Hospital
Pathology, NRB, Room 752N
77 Avenue Louis Pasteur
Boston, MA 02115
My laboratory research focuses on T lymphocyte mediated immunopathology. We study the mechanisms of migration of different effector T cell subsets of into tissues, and immunologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. Recent efforts in our lab have defined the impact of T cell costimulatory and regulatory pathways on atherosclerosis and myocarditis, and mechanisms of tolerizing T cells specific for cardiovascular antigens. We use of mouse models of atherosclerosis and myocarditis.
1. Bu D., Tarrio M, Grabie N, Zhang Y, Hiroyuki Y, Stavrakis S , Maganto-Garcia E, Pepper-Cunningham Z, Jarolim P, Aikawa M, Garcia-Cardena G, Lichtman AH. Statins reduce T cell inflammatory and pathogenic responses by inducing Kruppel-like factor 2 expression. J Clin Invest 2010; 120:1961–1970.
2. Bu D, Tarrio M, Maganto-Garcia E, Stavrakis G, Tajima G, Lederer J, Jarolim P, Freeman GF, Sharpe AH, Lichtman AH. Impairment of the programmed cell death-1 pathway increases atherosclerotic lesion development and inflammation. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2011; 31:1100-7.
3. Maganto-Garcia E, Tarrio M, Grabie N, Bu D, Lichtman AH. Dynamic changes in regulatory T cells are linked to levels of diet-induced hypercholesterolemia. Circulation 2011; 124:185-195.
4. Alcaide P, Maganto-Garcia E, Newton G, Travers R, Croce, Bu D, K, Luscinskas FW, Lichtman AH. Difference in Th1 and Th17 Lymphocyte Adhesion to Endothelium. J Immunol 2011; 188:1421-30.
5. Tarrio ML, Grabie N, Bu D, Sharpe AH, Lichtman AH. PD-1 protects against inflammation and myocyte damage in T cell mediated myocarditis. J Immunol 2012; 188:4876-84.
6. Griffin G, Newton G, Tarrio ML, Bu D, Maganto-Garcia E, Alcaide P, Grabie N, Luscinskas FW, Croce K, Lichtman AH. L-17 and TNF Sustain Neutrophil Recruitment During Inflammation Through Synergistic Effects on Endothelial Activation. J Immunol 2012; 188:6287-99.
7. Lichtman AH Binder CJ, Tsimikas S, Witztum J. Adaptive immunity in atherogenesis: new insights and therapeutic approaches. J Clin Invest 2013; 123:27–36.
Last Update: 1/6/2014