Gerald and Darlene Jordan Professor of Medicine, Harvard University
Co-Director, Harvard Stem Cell Institute
Gerald and Darlene Jordan Professor of Medicine
7 Divinity Avenue, Sherman Fairchild Building
Cambridge, MA 02138
Massachusetts General Hospital
Director, MGH Center for Regenerative Medicine
Chief, Hematologic Malignancies, MGH Cancer Center
185 Cambridge Street, CPZN # 4265A
Boston, MA 02114
The Scadden laboratory focuses on stem cell interactions with their niche. Stem cell function is governed by input from local and systemic environments that determine how the stem cell pool contributes to the basic physiologic processes of tissue growth, maintenance and repair. Disturbance of the interaction between stem and niche cells can change the persistence of stem cells or distort their ordered differentiation and result in neoplasia. We study the hematopoietic system in mouse and man to define the nature of the stem cell – niche relationship and how it may be manipulated to alter the outcome of hematologic disease.
1. Raaijmakers MH, Mukherjee S, Guo S, Zhang S, Kobayashi T, Schoonmanker JA, Ebert BL, Al-Shahrour F, Hasserjian RP, Scadden EO, Aung Z, Matza M, Markenschlager M, Lin C, Rommens, Scadden DT. Bone progenitor dysfunction induces myelodysplasia and secondary leukaemia. Nature. 2010 Apr 8;464(7290):852-7. PMCID: PMC3422863.
2. Sykes SM, Lane SW, Bullinger L, Kalatzidis D, Yusuf R, Saez B, Ferraro F, Mercier F, Singh H, Brumme, KM, Acharya SA, Scholl C, Tothova Z, Attar E, Frohling S, DePinho RA, Gilliland DW, Armstrong SA, Scadden DT. AKT/FOXO signaling enforces reversible differentiation blockade in myeloid leukemias. Cell. 2011 Sep2;146(5):697-708. PMCID 21884932.
3. Park D, Spencer JA, Koh BI, Kobayashi T, Fujisaki J, Clemens TL, Lin CP, Kronenberg HM. Scadden DT. Endogenous bone marrow MSCs are dynamic fate-restricted participants in bone maintenance and repair. Cell Stem Cell. 2012 Mar 2;10(3):259-72. PMCID: PMC3652251.
4. Krause D, Fulzele K, Catic A, Sun CC, Dombkowski D, Hurley MP, Lezeau S, Attar E, Wu JY, Lin HY, Divieti-Pajevic P, Hasserjian RP, Schipan E, Van Etten RA, Scadden DT. Differential regulation of myeloid leukemias by the bone marrow microenvironment. Nature Medicine. 2013 (in press).
5. Morrison SJ and Scadden DT. The bone marrow niche for haematopoietic stem cells. Nature. 2013 (in press).
Last Update: 1/6/2014